The Mortgage Loan Originator originates residential mortgage loans; achieves and exceeds sales goals; promotes the credit union and its lending services to the real estate community; participates in and promotes the credit union in community activities; and develops and follows through on all sales leads and referrals, providing high-quality service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has demonstrated ability to meet loan production goals; thorough knowledge of all mortgage real estate loan criteria, documentation and requirements, and all relevant industry regulations.
- Conducts in-person or telephone interviews with loan applicants and explains loan options/terms. Promptly responds to customer requests, questions, and concerns by finding the appropriate solution, and assists walk-in customers whenever possible.
- Actively returns customer calls in a timely manner. Calls include transfer calls from the credit union’s branch network, internal branch referrals, and all other call leads as assigned. Consistently communicates with members, business contacts, and support staff regularly on loans files when needed.
- Compiles documentation and inputs loan application data into the loan operating system. Maintains electronic copies of customer records within the system. Analyzes data for residential real estate loan requests and evaluates loan applications and documentations for creditworthiness.
- Prepares residential loan packages in accordance with credit union standards. Accountable for the quality and delivery of a well-documented file with a timely application submission. Outlines loan terms and conditions, and informs the borrower of loan term and decisions. Tracks and manages loan pipeline on a daily basis. Assists in the gathering of required loan documentation to close loan in a timely manner with minimal turn times. Attends loan closings to ensure proper documentation and to answer any potential customer questions.
- Maintains a database of past applicants for future marketing opportunities. Makes regular realtor and business contacts (in-person and phone contact) to promote future business and external referrals to the credit union. This includes phone calls, in-person meetings, office presentations, and realtor networking events.
- Actively cross-sells retail products and services that meet member needs. Assists branch team as needed and collaborates with other departments/branches to maintain outstanding customer service levels.
- Keeps management apprised of competitive products, pricing, and marketing activities. Distributes market data and general loan information to the business community as directed by management. Participates and promotes the credit union’s networking, loan programs, and community involvement activities. Must stay informed of trends and developments in the local real estate market.
- Performs additional duties as required and completes all required compliance training as assigned within required time frames.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, and comply with all federal, state, NCUA, secondary market, and internal credit union policies and procedures. The qualifications below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The position requires the ability to read and interpret documents, along with the ability to write routine reports and correspondence. The incumbent must possess the ability to speak effectively in one-on-one groups or large groups and the ability to respond to inquiries or complaints in a professional manner.
The incumbent should possess the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as statistics, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to credit union situations.
Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of complex instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The position requires strong experience with Loan Origination systems, Product/Pricing systems, and ancillary loan systems such as Credit Union Core operating systems and Microsoft Office products.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field. Previous experience in mortgage banking or a financial institution preferred.
- Familiarity with secondary market products and lending practices, regulatory environment, and retail products and services.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently in a deadline-driven environment.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an Originator encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Regular physical exertion required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Work performed is typically sedentary with occasional periods of walking and standing. May also require stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Utilizes finger dexterity to perform computer options.
- Must be capable of effective oral communication via writing, telephone, or fact to face-to-face.
- Travel between locations and attend meetings.
Mental & Visual Demands
- Mental concentration required to work with numbers and spreadsheets.
- Work requires visual effort of significant duration to review documents, drive to client locations, and interact with others.
Work Environment and Hazards
- Work environment is in a typical office setting free from noise and hazards.