Under the general supervision of the VP Controller, assists in the administration of the Credit Union’s accounting and record-keeping functions.
Perform daily, weekly, and monthly tasks necessary to balance and update the general ledger and subsidiary accounts. Perform job duties and responsibilities in compliance with credit union policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes accounting functions in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Provides back up to the VP Controller as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of the NCUA Quarterly report.
- Assist in the preparation of external financial reports for external auditors and regulators.
- Maintain and ensure the accuracy of the general ledger accounts including daily, weekly, and monthly reconciliations.
- Maintain and ensure the accuracy of the general ledger system and subsystems such as: Fixed Assets, Accounts Payable, and Accrued/Prepaid. Troubleshoot problems that arise, as well as assist with the implementation of new accounts.
- Share in the responsibility of processing all month end reports.
- Responsible for the accounting of the Credit Union’s more complex accounting areas.
- Participates in projects as necessary.
- Researches and develops procedural changes and work methods to improve departmental productivity.
- Assists in processing loans purchased and sold to the secondary market.
- Post and reconcile daily general ledger transactions, verifying ending general ledger account balances to reports provided by corresponding data processing systems.
- Assist with record retention within the department, including daily filing in an efficient and timely manner.
- Processes and oversees Account Payable transactions, ensuring that proper payment authorization has been obtained.
- Oversees the department processing of supply orders and requisitioning replacement inventories as warranted.
- Assist the department in gathering specific information and/or preparing special reports.
- Maintains personal job knowledge and management skill at a level needed to meet requirements of the position.
- Train employees in all daily/monthly department functions.
- Verify checks issued and outstanding in bank reconciliation.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, and comply with all Federal and State Regulations, and internal credit union policies and procedures. The qualifications below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Supervise Staff Accountants
The position requires the ability to read and interpret documents, along with the ability to write routine reports and correspondence. The incumbent must possess the ability to speak effectively in one-on-one groups or large groups and the ability to respond to inquiries or complaints in a professional manner.
The incumbent should be able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to credit union situations.
Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of complex instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The position requires experience, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of basic accounting concepts and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Prior experience handling accounting within a credit union or bank is required.
- Acts within the policies and procedures of the Credit Union.
- Maintain own job knowledge and skills level needed to meet the requirements of the position.
- Ability to learn quickly and effectively.
- Meet department deadlines and reporting requirements.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Perform related member services and clerical work as required or assigned.
- Complete special projects as required.
- Maintain a safe and productive work environment.
- Attend seminars, meetings, or other job-related functions, as necessary.
- Ability to exercise discretion and ensure Credit Union confidentiality.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff accountant encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Regular physical exertion required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Work performed is typically sedentary with occasional periods of walking and standing. May also require stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Utilizes finger dexterity to perform computer options.
- Must be capable of effective oral communication via writing, telephone or fax, and face to face.
- Travel between locations and attend meetings.
Mental & Visual Demands
- Mental concentration required to work with numbers and spreadsheets.
Work Environment and Hazards
- Work environment is in a typical office setting free from noise and hazards.